A 145km Scottish trail running adventure east-to-west from the Cairngorms to Torridon through magnificent scenery.
- Guided or Self-guided: Guided.
- Price: From £1,100/€1342 per person.
- Dates/Duration: Fixed date public tours 31 May-6 June 2020 (running days 1-5 June) and 30 August-5 September (running days 31 August-4 September). Private tours are also possible on other dates (best time May or September) by arrangement. 7 days/6 nights (arrival + 5 days’ activities + departure).
- Running ability required: You should be comfortable regularly running distances of around 30km, have good stamina and experience of running on rough terrain. You will be covering a total distance of approx. 145km with a total height gain of 4160m over 5 running days. Average pace incl. climbs and rougher terrain typically around 9-10 mins/km, but stamina and experience of running off-road is the most important requirement.
- Terrain/distance: 21km-37km/day on tracks and rough, stony trails.
- Location: Scottish Highlands, from the Cairngorms to the West Coast.
- Travel to: Arrive to Perth, depart from Inverness.
- Accommodation: One night in hotel, six nights in hostel accommodation along the route.
- Group size: 5-7 persons. A minimum of total 5 participants is required for fixed-date tours to be confirmed to run.
See below for details.
Why choose this tour for a trail running holiday in Scotland?
- A varied programme of challenging running in world-class mountain scenery.
- Includes a crossing of the Torridon wilderness area.
- Support vehicle for transfer between daily runs and for luggage transfer.
The highlands of Scotland have long attracted lovers of the outdoors with their magical combination of wildness, dramatic scenery and rich history.
The networks of paths make the highlands perfect for trail runners looking to combine a physical challenge with the joy of running through some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. With the running tours taking place in the low season periods of spring and early autumn, you’re able to enjoy the tranquility and remoteness of this stunning mountain landscape to the full.
Starting from Glen Clova in the east, five days of guided trail runs take you to Braemar, on to Aviemore and Kintail through glacial valleys and mountain passes, and end with a real “bucket-list” run – a crossing of the mighty Fisherfield wilderness area in Torridon.
You’ll be led by an experienced mountain guide, and at night stay in Scottish Youth Hostel Association hostels along the route. Luggage is transferred and the support vehicle also brings you from your accommodation to/from the start/end points of the runs as required.
Is it for me?
- Tours are suitable for solo travellers or guests travelling with one or more companions, min. age 18. All sleeping accommodation is shared in 2-4 person rooms, so there is no single supplement for solo travellers.
- You’ll need a good level of fitness and stamina to join the tour and experience of running off-road. Trails will be rough and can be stony/muddy. If you are used to regular, steady runs of around 30km and are able to do 5 consecutive long hiking days in mountain terrain, this is a good indicator of suitability.
- The tour is not a race and your guide will adjust the pace to one suitable for the group and which allows you to enjoy the beauty of the landscape.
Trip code: TRS7RS1